Board of Trustees
First Unitarian Church is a beacon of hope for us and for our community, a spiritual center in the heart of our city that helps each of us to find our moral compass, calling and challenging us to build the beloved community with an ever deepening sense of spirit, diversity and inclusion.
(adopted by the Board of Trustees August, 2015)
Five Year Goals for First Unitarian
At the Board meeting on May 5, 2016, the Board adopted five year goals for the church. From 2016-2021, First Unitarian Church of Portland will:
• Focus on collaborative governance, revising policies for clarity and brevity and creating linkages between the Congregation, the Board, and the Executive Team.
• Increase church funding through enhanced giving, including goal to reduce or retire the Buchan Building mortgage.
• Make a cultural transition from program-focused church to mission-driven church, with priority to building beloved community between generations.
• Develop a long-term plan for development and sustainability of church campus given changing dynamics of West End and downtown Portland.
Board Goals for 2017-2018
- Complete policy revisions and get them approved for publication by the board.
- Hold four congregant discussion forums on topics including, in part, progress on our five-year goals and revising our board policies.
- Grow the financial health of First Unitarian through support of the Annual Fund Drive and efforts to reduce or eliminate the Buchan debt.
Congregational Forums Facilitated by the Board of Trustees
With the assistance of the Communications Committee, the Board sponsors periodic forums to engage in dialog with congregants on the Church’s mission and goals as well as to hear concerns. This is important work for the Board and provides linkage between the congregation and its leadership. The Board greatly values the perspective provided at these forums and the opportunity to engage with a diverse set of congregants. Information on upcoming forums as well as notes from prior forums may be found on the Board’s Communications Committee page.
Please fill out this form to send a comment to the Board of Trustees.